Windmill Hill Fruits
Windmill Hill Fruits in Herefordshire is owned and run by Anthony and Christine Snell. Over 2,100 tonnes of strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, red and black currants are grown and packed on the farm, which has been supplying soft fruit to leading brands for 20 years. Since Anthony and Christine bought their first 100 acres in 1989, they have continued to innovate. A purpose built facility, specially designed around the soft fruit business, was installed in 2007 and a frozen line has recently been introduced to extend operations to 11 months of the year.
The family farm takes environmental responsibilities seriously and has been at the forefront of a number of research initiatives, often leading the way with pioneering trials. Anthony and Christine employ initiatives such as using ladybirds as biological pest control and they are exploring options for biodegradable packing.
Windmill Hill Fruits has many accreditations, including:
- BRC (British Retail Consortium) – grade AA
- SEDEX – the Supplier Ethical Data Exchange member
- Ethical Trading Audit compliant
- Red Tractor – Produce assurance
- Soil association (Organic Blackcurrants)
- Tesco Nurture Gold
- M&S Field to Fork Gold Standard
- LEAF Marque (Linking Environment And Farming)