Preparation time - 15 mins
Cook time - 15 mins
These French style crepes or pancakes should be so thin that they almost look like lace curtains. Fill with lemon, vanilla or honey flavoured Greek style yogurt, lots of sweet juicy berries and top with a drizzle of no cook fresh strawberry and lime sauce.
100g/4oz plain flour
1 egg yolk
200ml/7fl oz semi skimmed milk
2 teaspoons sunflower oil plus extra for frying
400g/14oz strawberries, hulled, quartered
1 lime, finely grated rind only
500g/1lb 2oz lemon, vanilla or honey flavoured Greek style yogurt
200g/7oz blueberries or blackberries
Little sifted icing sugar
- Sift the flour into a bowl, add the egg and egg yolk then gradually whisk in the milk until smooth. Whisk in 2 teaspoons oil and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Add the strawberries to a liquidiser or food processor and blend until smooth. Press through a sieve to remove the seeds, if liked then mix with the lime rind.
- Whisk the pancake batter once more then pour into a jug. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the base of an 18cm/7inch non-stick frying pan, pour out the excess oil and keep in a small bowl. Pour 2-3 tablespoons of the batter into the hot pan and tilt the pan so that the batter thinly covers the base. Cook for a minute or two until the underside is golden, loosen with a knife then flip over and cook the second side until golden.
- Slide the pancake out of the pan on to a plate and keep hot. Re-oil the pan as before and continue cooking pancakes until all the batter is used up.
- Spoon a little of the yogurt over each pancake, sprinkle with some of the berries then fold in half and arrange two pancakes on each serving plate. Sprinkle with any remaining berries, dust with a little sifted icing sugar and serve with a drizzle of strawberry sauce.
To make chocolate pancakes, add 15g/1/2oz sifted cocoa to the bowl with the flour and up the milk to 225ml/8fl oz. Make and cook as above.